Most of us have goals we would like to achieve in many aspects of our life. Be it professional, health or self development. The common question is why do smart, motivated, hard-working individuals fail to accomplish the goals they set? The answer is always the same, the lack of a clear goal definition.
Taking the following steps will position you to achieve more successful results as you set your goals.
1. Choose what you would like to accomplish. The goal has to be very specific. For example, in order to increase your earning, you need to know the number of sales your need to make per a specific period; daily, weekly or monthly.
2. Decide the deadline with regards to success. An objective will need to have a due date. If you don’t have a deadline for achieving the goal, it is simply a desire or perhaps a dream.
3. Is the goal believable to you? You must believe that the goal is achievable for you. This also helps determine if this is your goal or if you are trying to achieve someone else’s goal. If you feel it’s difficult to accomplish, you will sabotage yourself.
“Aim for the top. There is plenty of room there. There are so few at the top it is almost lonely there.” — Samuel Insull
4. Where are you now? Evaluate your situation right now so you can be able to take the correct steps in the right direction that suit you. It’s impossible to make progress if you are in denial of your current situation.
5. Evaluate your current hurdles. Is it finances, time management, lack of education, family related challenges etc? Honestly determine your hurdles and design your goals to account for your specific challenges.
6. Educate yourself. Some goals are only achievable if you learn more about your challenging area. If it’s financial, it may be time to hire a financial advisor, take an online personal finance e-course or read a book on your topic of interest. The more you know, the easier it becomes to achieve your goals and make more intelligent decisions.
7. Join groups that specialize in your interests. A support system is vital to achieving your goals. Be part of and contribute to groups that specialize in whatever you are trying to achieve. You will get ideas that will motivate you to stay on track.
8. What are the benefits to you? Write down as many rewards as possible. The more great things you have to look forward too, the more encourage you will be to achieve your goals.
9. Develop a step-by-step plan. Figure out the particular steps that will be necessary to achieve the goals. Start with the end in mind, begin at the success level, and work your way backwards on how to achieve the goals.
10. Visualize yourself at the point of success. You have to visualize your goal all though to the success level. How will you determine a goal successful? For example if it’s increasing income, for one person it may be an extra $1k a week and to another, an extra $1k a month.
11. Take daily actions. Dreams and also goals call for actions. The very best goal on the planet won’t materialize except if steady action is taken.
12. Choose not to quit. Of course if you choose the wrong goal, quitting is an option. But in many cases, we quit too soon, before the hard-work actually begins. Remember if everything was easy, it would all have been done and taken care of already. There will be challenges but once you have overcome those hurdles, the success is all yours.
Follow these steps and you should be able to accomplish the goals you set for yourself. I wish you the best and all success.
Do you have other goal setting techniques that have worked for you successful? Please leave a comment below.